Sunday, March 1, 2009

In a quandry about the G.L.A.D. Project

My 3rd grade teammate is a G.L.A.D. trainer and has an 3/4 ELD classoom. GLAD is an amazing approach to teaching non-fiction subjects, it's a great integration of pictorials, graphic organizers, and songs to make meaning of history and expository non-fiction. I teach in a Dual Language classroom and always need new ideas. I was trained last summer in the G.L.A.D. Project and have been using small portions of it in my teaching, but to be fair I have not implemented a complete GLAD unit. Here are my thoughts on what I observe about GLAD (most observing my teammate): It seems to be teacher centered; all information is relayed through the teacher, through teacher made songs, teacher made books, and teacher made pictorials.

I believe in contructivist approach to teaching through questioning and building understanding through modeling, inquiry, and guidance. Tell me your thoughts or experience with GLAD Project. I'd like to be convinced otherwise. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment